Monday, November 15, 2010

The Teacher

I was saddened to hear from a high school friend of mine this past weekend of the death of one of my favorite teachers of all time, David R. Robertson, who taught at Mishwaka High School for thirty-eight years.

I was lucky to have Mr. Robertson for his International Relations class. He was a wise and witty teacher, who never talked down to his students and always made his class think for themselves. I was never bored in his class; there was always something to make you think or just make you believe that high school was not merely a way station for the rest of your life.

A good teacher can make a difference in his or her students' lives, and Mr. Robertson made a difference in mine. He inspired me to pursue my interest in history and writing, and gave me the confidence I needed at the right moment in my life. As someone once said, "The great teacher inspires." Mr. Robertson was an inspiration and will continue to be for the rest of my life.

No comments: